Free bus pass for disabled and older people
This may be useful for you or someone you know, help spread the word.
Many people know that you can get a free bus pass once you hit state pension age (in London you qualify when you’re 60) but not everyone knows that you can also get a free bus pass if you’re disabled.
Most councils across the UK deal with the bus pass applications themselves but you can visit the Direct Gov website to find out if your local council supplies this scheme.
How do I know if I am eligible?
To be eligible for a free disabled bus pass you must fit into one of the following categories…
- Chronically sick and disabled and suffering from any disability which permanently and seriously impairs their ability to walk; or
- Permanently blind and unable to perform any duties for which sight is required; or
- Assessed as having severe learning disabilities; or
- Registered as profoundly deaf, with or without speech; or
- Registered as partially sighted (where disability can be assessed by a Consultant Ophthalmologist); or
- Without the use of both arms, whether through the absence of limbs or otherwise; or
- Unable to drive having had a driving licence refused or revoked on medical grounds.
How can you apply?
Visit the direct gov website here and input your postcode to find out if your local council accepts applications for these bus passes. You will then be directed to your local councils website where you can download an application form or be given a phone number to discuss it further.
What happens after you have applied?
- Your application will be assessed and the council may have to contact your doctor for confirmation of your disability
- If you have written evidence that can support your application such as a letter from your consultant, GP or statement of special needs please send it with your application form. We will return all supporting documents to you.
- It may take some weeks to assess your application.
- If your application is approved you will be sent a letter of confirmation along with details about how to collect your permit.
- If your application is refused you will be sent notification in writing.