Free European Health Insurance Card

Free European Health Insurance Card

If you are thinking of going away this year, especially to a European Economic Area, you will need a Ehic card to enable you to access state- provided healthcare!

This means that if something goes wrong, the cost of medical treatment will be covered until you return to the UK, it also covers treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care. 

This is NOT an alternative to travel insurance and will not cover any private medical healthcare costs or lost or stolen property, however some travel insurers now insist that you have one of these cards before they agree to insure you. 

If you don’t have a card, then some insurers won’t pay for any medical treatment should you need it whilst away, as the small print of these policies states all travellers must have a valid card.


The EHIC card entitles you to the equivalent of NHS care in 27 different European countries. Some countries won’t offer the same free medical care that we get in the UK, but it will basically give you the same right to free or subsidised medical treatment that citizens in that country get. 

This is definitely worth organising before you go away and could save yourself lots of time and effort in the long run. It’s completely free to apply and renew! 

CLICK HERE to apply or renew online.

Alternatively you can call 03003301350.

You may also like
Share this article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.