Marriage Allowance – Are you entitled? What you should know!

Marriage Allowance – Are you entitled? What you need to know!

Marriage allowance allows you to transfer up to £1,060 of your personal allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner.

By adding this to their personal allowance, this will mean that they’ll pay £212 less tax in the tax year.

It was the government’s intention to give a tax allowance to married couples and civil partners as a way to balance the negative tax implications when only one person works.

The legislation permits up to 10% of a spouse’s or civil partner’s unused personal allowance to be transferred. This is conditional on:

  • neither spouse nor civil partner paying tax at the higher rate, so having an income of up to £42,385;
  • the transferor having some unused personal allowance; and
  • neither spouse nor civil partner making a claim for the married couple’s allowance (which applies when one of the couple is born before 6 April 1935).

How much tax you’ll both play

By claiming Marriage Allowance:

  • your partner’s Personal Allowance increases to £11,660 – they’ll pay £212 less tax
  • your Personal Allowance goes down to £9,540 – you won’t pay any tax if your income’s less than this

CLICK HERE to calculate how much tax you’ll pay as a couple.

How to apply

You can apply for Marriage Allowance online here.

How your personal allowance will change

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will give your partner their extra allowance either:

  • by changing their tax code, usually to 1166M – this can take up to 2 months
  • when they send their Self Assessment tax return, if they’re self-employed

Your tax code will also change if you’re employed or get a pension. Your new code will reflect your new Personal Allowance and will end with ‘N’.

CLICK HERE for more information on this over on the Governments website.

You may also like
Share this article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.