How to save money whilst cooking
Follow these clever tips to help you save hundreds of pounds a year!
Many people rarely change their cooking habits when it comes to saving money but if they changed a few of their bad habits, they could save themselves some serious cash every year.
Here I have put together some of my top money saving cooking tips, do you have any more? Leave me a comment and let me know 🙂
- It costs more to run an oven for an hour a day than it does to run your slow cooker for 8 hours per day. By cooking in your slow cooker instead of your oven you could save around £90 a year!
- If you have an electric hob, make sure you keep it clean. Any muck, grime and burnt food can absorb heat making them less efficient.
- Would you be willing to cook in batches and freeze any left over food for later? Reducing the number of times you need to use your oven is crucial to saving money
- Defrost food in the fridge overnight – cooking from frozen will take longer and cost you more money
- Avoid the temptation of opening the oven door. Every time you open the door you are releasing the heat and it will take longer for food to cook resulting in more spending
- Pre-boil potatoes before roasting them – this will spend up the cooking process and they won’t need as long in the oven.
- When boiling potatoes to make mash, cut the potatoes into smaller pieces to cook quicker
- Remember to use lids on all of your pans to stop the heat escaping. This will reduce your cooking time and save you money
- Use the correct size pan for cooking. Using a pan that is too small will take longer to heat food through
Do you have any tips? Remember to comment below with your top tips 🙂